Timing is everything when it comes to toilet training success. As any parent who's been through it can tell you, trying to force the toilet on a ‘not-quite-ready’ toddler only prolongs the process (and the agony!). So how can you tell if your little one is ready to make the leap from nappies to the toilet?
Check out these 10 signs that they're ready:
- Shows an interest in the toilet, potty or underpants.
- Stays dry for two or more hours.
- Wants to watch you ‘go’.
- ‘Number two’s’ happening on a predictable schedule.
- Complains about wet or dirty nappies, and wants to be changed.
- Can follow basic instructions.
- Understands basic vocab like "wee" and "poop."
- Can tell you when he needs to go—or uses body language, like going into a corner or grunting.
- Can pull her pants up and down with little assistance.
- Can learn to use a step-on-up toilet trainer seat.